Sync your Lumia Phone with Outlook using AkrutoSync
So you purchased a Lumia recently and want to know how to sync Outlook with it? This post explains how AkrutoSync can synchronise your Lumia phone with Outlook contacts, calendar, tasks and notes without using the cloud.
Your Lumia phone already has all the software required to synchronize contacts, calendar and tasks with AkrutoSync. You do not need to install any apps on the phone. Simply install AkrutoSync on your computer and follow on-screen instructions to sync Outlook contacts with your Lumia phone, sync Outlook calendar with your Lumia phone and sync your Outlook tasks with your Lumia phone.
However, to synchronize Outlook notes, you will need to install the Basic Notes app. The free Basic Notes app is available in the Windows Phone store. Install the app on your phone, tap the settings icon and enter the address, user name and password to synchronize with AkrutoSync. Both the address and the user name are displayed in the AkrutoSync window on your PC, so you just need to enter them into the Basic Notes app.
Syncing Your Microsoft Lumia Phone with Outlook
Now that Microsoft has released the Windows 10 Mobile OS upgrade for Microsoft Lumia devices, you will want to sync your Lumia phone with Outlook.
The update was originally only available for the users of the Microsoft Lumia 950, Lumia 950 XL, Lumia 550 and Lumia 650 phones, but Microsoft has now released it for a large number of older devices too. The current list of devices includes a limited set of Windows Phone 8.1 devices and does not include some devices that are currently running Windows 10 Mobile in the Windows 10 Mobile Insider program.
Even with the release of the Windows 10 OS update for users of the Microsoft Lumia devices, there is no native syncing of Outlook Calendar and Contacts between the two Microsoft products. When you upgrade to Windows 10, your login is automatically switched from local to web-based (the cloud). You can, however, easily switch back to using Outlook Calendar and email on your PC instead of in the cloud.
This step-by-step guide will help you if you are syncing any of the newest Microsoft Lumia devices including (but not limited to) the Lumia 650, Lumia 820 or Lumia 920 with Outlook Contacts. You can also sync Lumia 520, Lumia 1020 and Lumia 1320, three older but popular devices.
How do I Synchronize my Outlook Contacts with Microsoft Lumia?
Step 1: Download and install AkrutoSync.
- Begin by downloading the latest version of AkrutoSync. After installation you will see the main window.
- Click on Select what to sync and choose which Outlook contacts you want to sync with Microsoft Lumia in Select contact folder
Step 2: Continue PC configuration
In the main window click Configure AkrutoSync. AkrutoSync will guide you through the configuration process.
- Choose Sync over home network – this option allows to sync Outlook contacts without cables via your Wi-Fi network
- Select Windows – you will then receive illustrated instructions on how to configure a Windows phone to sync with Outlook Contacts.
- Click Save and go to the next step. As AkrutoSync can also sync Calendars, Tasks and Notes you will be asked once more about what piece of Outlook data you want to sync with your Microsoft Lumia. If you only want to sync contacts with your phone, don’t change anything and press Save.
- At the next step you’ll be asked to make sure your Microsoft Lumia and PC are connected to same Wi-Fi network. Click Save and proceed to the next step.
- Next screen will display proper firewall configuration. Press Continue.
- Next screen will provide detailed instructions on how to enable Microsoft Lumia to sync with Outlook contacts.
Step 3: Begin phone configuration
- Open a browser on your Microsoft Lumia.
- Enter the address shown on your AkrutoSync window.
- Touch Go.
- When the new page loads, select Import Certificate for AkrutoSync.
- Select Install, and the certificate will be installed.
Step 4: Continue PC configuration
- Continuing the setup on your PC, enter a user name and password (create one that will be easy for you to remember).
- Click Continue.
Step 5: Complete Windows configuration
Returning to your Microsoft Lumia, follow the instructions for setting up an Exchange account. The account tells your phone how to connect to directly to your computer.
- Touch the Settings icon on your phone’s home screen.
- Scroll to Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Select Exchange.
- The Microsoft Lumia will ask you for an email address and password for Exchange – do not enter your actual email address. Enter the fake email address displayed in the AkrutoSync window (again, yours will likely be different than the one displayed here). Use the password you created earlier and entered into AkrutoSync on your PC. Select Next.
- Enable everything, including Mail (although AkrutoSync does not sync email, it still needs to be enabled). Leave other options at their default values and syncing begins.
- The first sync may take a while if you have a lot of Outlook contacts, appointments reminders and notes. You will see that some Outlook contacts and reminders appear in your phone even before the first sync is complete. AkrutoSync window on your PC shows sync progress. When you see the “Success” status it means that sync has completed.
The Windows 10 Mobile OS update is available for users of many Microsoft Lumia phones such as Lumia 1520, 930, 640, 640XL, 730, 735, 830, 532, 535, 540, 635 1GB, 636 1GB, 638 1GB, 430, 435, BLU Win HD w510u, BLU Win HD LTE x150q, and the MCJ Madosma Q501 devices.
Congratulations. You have set up your Microsoft Lumia phone to sync with Outlook, using AkrutoSync. In a few seconds, your phone will connect to your computer and start synchronizing your Outlook data.
Akruto transfers all of a contact’s information. It even keeps a history of all changes, deletions and additions in sync history. If you inadvertently make a change, it’s not lost for good. Just open sync history to restore the information.